Job Opening Posted: 8/23/22
Looking for an outgoing person, savvy with current technology and experienced in legal research. Join our skilled team of professional librarians who love what they do and make a difference in our community! If you are self-motivated and believe that access to the law is providing access to justice, send your resume and cover letter telling us why you would be a good fit for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls or direct emails please.
About the San Diego Law Library
Since 1891, the San Diego Law Library has provided free legal information to county residents, funded by a portion of civil court filing fees. We are the only free community resource dedicated to helping people learn about and use the law to solve problems with access to professionally curated legal databases, print materials, and internet resources. We offer a variety of community oriented classes on popular legal topics and continuing education classes for the legal profession. Our librarians work with partners and create resources to help make the law more accessible to the general public. Our Vision is to become everyone’s first choice for finding legal solutions, pursuing access to justice, using advanced technology, and learning how the law works for them. We are Law Made Public.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Summary of Job Description is below, detailed Job Description available here.
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN JOB SUMMARY
Provides excellent reference and circulation services to library patrons. Promotes the library, its activities, and resources using a variety of tools and techniques. Instructs library staff and patrons about library resources and services. Drives change throughout the library by leading and participating in special project teams. Will provide services at our Downtown and partnership locations, as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
REFERENCE: As part of the iDesk Team, provides excellent customer service and legal reference to patrons in person, via phone, and email. Demonstrates substantive and specialized knowledge of legal field in assisting patrons and in the creation and instruction of information content. Uses knowledge of collection (print & electronic), community resources, internet resources, the catalog, and other tools to provide reference services to patrons.
INFORMATION DESK: All librarians are expected to perform circulation functions, open borrower accounts, perform money transactions, and assist patrons with copier and computer usage while performing iDesk duties. Demonstrates mastery in all iDesk procedures and processes. Educates patrons on our Rules of Conduct and enforces the rules when necessary. Assists the public with basic computer usage, especially Web navigation, Microsoft Word formatting, saving, and printing. Assists patrons with printers, copiers, scanners, and point of sale system. Assists in training and mentoring other staff.
OUTREACH ACTIVITIES: Proactively create programs and content to meet user needs and promote the library in the community. Provide instruction in the form of in-person or online classes. In conjunction with the Assistant Director User Experience and other Librarians, partner and collaborate with other non-profit organizations to provide innovative programs to different demographic groups. Staff in-person, off-site, and virtual events, classes, and clinics. Market and promote law library programs, special events and classes to the general public and the legal community. Use social media sites and emerging technologies to market law library events, resources and services. Use emerging technologies to further our reach in the community and allow more access to legal information.
ASSESSMENT: Uses assessment tools, metrics, and analyzes data relating to reference assistance and educational programming. Assessment includes implementing surveys and capturing testimonials from participants. Based on evaluation of assessment tools, develops actionable items to further the Library’s Strategic Plan and Mission, and show value to the community.
SPECIAL LEGAL KNOWLEGE: Responsible for creating an atmosphere for continual learning and professional growth through the mentoring of colleagues. Responsible for acquiring new skills and communicating knowledge formally and informally with staff and patrons.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Masters in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA accredited school or Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited Law School or equivalent legal or library experience.
- One to three years prior legal experience or library experience. Legal research and bibliography experience in print and electronic formats.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct the general public on legal research tools and concepts.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated ability with Web 2.0 and social media technologies, including Springshare’s Libguides and Twitter.
- Use of Web based programs, software, and technology to create learning materials and help people remotely.
- Previous customer service experience or extended experience in dealing with the public. Highly skilled in communicating with people from diverse educational and social backgrounds.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities and be self-sufficient.
- High degree of creativity, interactive engagement and problem-solving ability.
- Knowledge of California Civil Procedure
- Experience with MS Teams, SharePoint
- Experience working with an integrated library system, preferably Koha.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel to various locations throughout San Diego County on a regular basis. Some of these locations may be remote and not serviced by a regularly scheduled train or bus.
- May be required to work some Saturdays at Downtown location.
- May be required to work outside of normal library hours at special events, classes, workshops, networking and outreach opportunities, etc.
- Additional responsibilities, duties, and projects as assigned.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications, skills, and experience. Starting salary range is $65,000 to $74,000. Benefits include CalPERS retirement, contribution toward monthly medical premium, optional dental & vision coverage, FSA, paid holidays, generous sick leave and vacation accrual, optional 457 Deferred Compensation plan, and contribution toward parking/public transportation.