Reference Librarian for Education
|Job Opening: Reference Librarian for Education
Reports to: Assistant Director, User Experience
DEADLINE: Applications accepted until position is filled.
The San Diego Law Library is open to the public and is dedicated to providing access to justice for all.
Provides excellent customer service and legal reference to the public. This position seeks out opportunities to fill the community’s need for legal knowledge and provides the education and resources to do so using the latest in educational technology. Develops and leads the Library’s public and in-house education programs.
- As part of the iDesk Team, provides excellent customer service and legal reference to patrons in person, via phone and email.
- All librarians are expected to perform circulation functions, money transactions, and assist patrons with copier and computer usage while performing iDesk duties.
- Develops and leads the Library’s public education program. This includes everything from basic civics courses for non-attorneys, legal resources for business owners, to planning MCLE classes for attorneys. Education can take many forms – in person classes, web tutorials, workshops and clinics with legal aid partners, partnering with City and County libraries to reach a wider audience, developing web content and research guides, writing articles for our eNews and other local legal publications, and writing content for social media posts.
- Has a working knowledge of different modes of learning and learning styles and able to tailor programs to fit the situation and target audience.
- Must stay on top of legal research trends, legal databases including content and navigation, educational technology, and trends in law library public education, partnerships, and resources.
- Seeks out possible grant opportunities and partnerships to support public education efforts.
- Responsible for Public Library outreach and developing new events with library partners.
- Creates & coordinates internal training for Librarians, educating co-workers on new resources.
- Works with Marketing Librarian to create content to promote classes, events, clinics, etc.
- Develops assessment tools, metrics, and analyzes data relating to education programming.
- Assessment includes developing surveys and capturing testimonials from participants.
- Based on evaluation of assessment tools, develops actionable items to further the Library’s Strategic Plan and Mission, and show value to the community.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited Law School or equivalent legal experience.
- Three to five years law library experience or prior law practice. Significant legal research and bibliography experience in print and electronic formats.
- Proven track record in creating and implementing programs and classes.
- Use of web based programs, software, and technology to create learning materials.
- Project management skills to develop and implement library wide programs.
- Excellent verbal skills, ability to make public presentations as well as one-on-one communications.
- Has a passion for working with people.
- Experience and knowledge of teamwork tools and methodology.
- Experience working with an integrated library system, preferably.
- High degree of creativity, interactive engagement and problem solving ability.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office tools and standard office equipment at an intermediate to advanced level.
- A strong background in library and team management, project management techniques, organizational structure, and demonstrated knowledge of the user experience literature, computer & information science, and marketing is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of California Civil Procedure.
- Must be able to travel to all library locations.
- Some Saturdays are required.
- Will be required to occasionally work outside of normal library hours at special events, classes, workshops, networking and outreach opportunities, etc.
- Compensation: $50,000 to $80,000.
- This is a Full-Time job with generous benefits.
- Apply with cover letter, resume, and contact info for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- NO PHONE CALLS