Job Opening: Part-Time Reference Librarian
Reports to: Assistant Director, User Experience
DEADLINE: Applications accepted until position is filled.
The San Diego Law Library is open to the public and is dedicated to providing access to justice for all. We are the only publicly available resource for legal materials in the County. Join our team of dedicated professionals that believe providing access to legal information is essential to our justice system.
Do you enjoy helping attorneys and non-attorneys with legal reference questions? Do you want to expand your legal research skills? Do you want to use your legal or library background to empower others with access to legal information? Would you like to work with an energetic bunch of Law Librarians in a Downtown setting? Then read on!
This position creates a positive user experience for library patrons through legal reference skills, knowledge of referral resources, and knowledge of Information Desk processes and procedures. Helps promote the library in person and through various emerging technologies.
- Uses knowledge of legal and community resources to provide intermediate-level reference service to library users at the Information Desk, via phone, email, and chat.
- Promotes information literacy by providing assistance in the use of the library catalog, research databases, and the Internet.
- Actively listens to patron inquiries and conducts a reference interview to provide relevant resources and options.
- Provides basic instruction on the use of resources in person or through various technology tools.
- Fulfills all service model roles by greeting patrons, roving the library for books, restocking supplies, assisting patrons while roving, assisting patrons with technology questions, and staffing the Information Desk.
- Responsible for knowing and performing all Information Desk procedures and using all systems required at the desk including library catalog, cash register, credit card reader, print release stations, and copiers.
- Responsible for financial transactions, maintaining accurate financial records and keeping an accurate cash drawer.
- Responsible for documenting reference interactions for statistical purposes.
- Maintains office technology, such as copiers and printers.
- Able to answer basic computer questions and troubleshoot printing issues.
- Provides user instruction on legal databases, court and government websites, and basic Microsoft Word formatting.
- Responsible for circulation and borrower program maintenance via our KOHA system.
- Collecting overdue fines, processing new borrower applications and renewals and documenting in our KOHA system.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Intermediate knowledge of legal research methods, in print and electronic, and basic legal bibliography.
- Ability to multi-task and triage patron questions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Practical knowledge of standard business software applications – Microsoft Products (Word, Excel, Office), prefer familiarity with MS Teams.
- Demonstrated customer service, preferably in a public library environment.
- Innovative thinking, productive questioning, and ability to follow through.
- Experience configuring and maintaining office equipment, such as copiers.
- Strong analytical skills to identify problems and design workable solutions.
Juris Doctorate, Masters in Library and Information Sciences, or a combination of education and experience that would qualify to work in a law library and provide legal reference services. Paralegals with customer service experience (in legal field or other) are also encouraged to apply.
- Some Saturdays may be required in the future.
- Regular business hours are Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm. This position is part-time and will normally have approximately 2 to 3 shifts of 6 hours each. This is subject to change depending on the needs of the library.
- Compensation: $25 per hour.
- This is a part-time position and does not qualify for benefits.
- Apply with cover letter, resume, and contact info for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS