Our mission remains making the law accessible to as many people as we possibly can. In the past, we were limited to providing service from our two San Diego County locations for walk-in reference help, using print, and accessing our legal databases.
With the COVID-19 shelter in place orders, we have embraced the opportunity to provide new resources that are reaching more people than ever before. We have increased our number of legal databases and made many of them available remotely — from your home or office. The databases currently available are:
- CEB Pro: Through the link on our Legal Databases webpage, you can create a temporary account with your own username and password that will provide access to CEB’s practice guides, action guides, reporters, primary law, and citator.
- Fastcase: By using the link, username, and password found on our Legal Databases webpage, you can access Fastcase’s library of primary law, journal articles, and citator.
- Gale Legal Forms: This database is available for our Borrower and Benefit Package Holders through our Legal Databases webpage. It provides access to thousands of sample California and federal legal forms and letters. To get the password, Borrowers and Benefit package holders can contact us by email or phone.
- Lexis Advance: You can use the link and instructions on our Legal Databases webpage to create a temporary account that will provide access to Lexis’s National Primary Enhanced library (all state and federal cases, codes, regulations, and law reviews), company and financial information, all briefs, pleadings, motions, and secondary sources, such as Matthew Bender’s Pleading & Practice Set. But, be aware, access to this resource will end on Tuesday, June 30th.
- Nolo – Legal Information Resource Center: Through the link on ourLegal Databases webpage, you will be taken to a login page. Use the username “sandiego” and password “ca” to access the NOLO’s library of books and articles designed for the self-represented litigant.
- Westlaw Edge: You can use the link and instructions on our Legal Databases webpage to create a temporary account that will provide access for 20 hours of legal research with Westlaw’s state and federal primary laws and some practice guides, like the Rutter Group series. But, be aware, access to this resource will end on Tuesday, June 30th.
Additionally, we are partnering with attorneys and legal service providers to create a free series of Zoom webinars on topics important to you. We have hosted hundreds of attendees in this online environment. We are posting them to our YouTube channel so they can be long-term resources for you.
We have created a COVID-19 Legal Issues webpage that has information about the new law, rules, regulations, and guidance that affect health, employment, housing, government benefits, utilities, consumer debt, businesses, reopening California info, contract claims, tax issues, legal deadlines, scams, domestic violence, family law, and estate planning. Thanks to our bilingual reference staff, these guides are available in Spanish as well.