Q: How do I obtain a copy of my court file in San Diego Superior Court?

Depending on the type of case you have, you may obtain a copy of your court file: (1) online, (2) in person at the courthouse where the record is located, or (3) by mail from the courthouse where the case was filed.

Only civil (including small claims) and probate cases filed on or after January 1, 2008 may be found online. For all other cases you may make your request either in person or by mail.

For in person requests, you must provide:

1. Your case number and

2. Your photo id.

Be aware that copy requests must be made to the clerk at least 30 minutes prior to the business office closing.

For mail requests, your letter must include: 

 1. Your case number

2. The names of the parties involved and

3. The name of the documents you want copied from the court file.

For more details, including fees, please view the San Diego Superior Court’s website.