Q: How do I file a motion to vacate a default judgment?

This week’s legal reference question of the week is a frequently asked question among self-represented litigants.

Although the courts provide many pre-made forms for convenience, this is one type of form that you need to create. However, instead of re-creating this form, it is easier to use one of our many sample templates as a guide.

For a motion to vacate a default judgment, see California Civil Practice: Procedures, Chapter 29 which provides the legal principles as well as a sample motion to set aside a default judgment.