Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Time: 4 – 5p.m.
MCLE: 1 hour general participatory credit
Each year for Law & Comics we bring in a few new books to complement the year’s theme. This year, we are proud to have selected the following works by independent creators. The books are on display currently and will be available to circulate after July 25.
Independent creators keep control over their creations rather than create characters for another company (like Spider-Man for Marvel Comics). The first 4 of our selections were self-published in the beginning, meaning that the individual creators formed their own companies to publish their works. Jaime Hernandez, along with his brother, Gilbert, kept control of their creation, Love and Rockets, but used Fantagraphics to publish the work. Our final book is Scott McCloud’s exploration about how to make comics, including how to structure panels and pages, and what makes for a good character.
- The Complete ElfQuest, volume 1, by Wendy and Richard Pini
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ultimate Collection, vol. 1 by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird
- Bone, the Great Cow Race by Jeff Smith
- Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 by David Peterson
- Love and Rockets, Maggie the Mechanic by Jaime Hernandez
- Making Comics by Scott McCloud
Join us Tuesday, July 19, at 4 pm for a fun discussion of the triumphs and travails of being an independent creator.