Highlights of 2018 New Laws in California
Welcome to 2018. There are almost 900 new laws in California this year. Some of the more interesting are:
- Prospective employers cannot ask for your pay history – AB 168 – and employment applications will no longer have a criminal conviction history box – AB 1008.
- The minimum wage will gradually increase until it reaches $15 in 2022 – SB 3.
- Sexually assaulting an unconscious or severely intoxicated person will become a crime ineligible for probation – AB 2888.
- It is now illegal to skydive while intoxicated – AB 295.
- Beauty salons and barber shops can give free beer or wine to their customers, before 10 pm – AB 1322.
- California is now a sanctuary state – SB 54.
- A series of bills designed to increase affordable housing in the state.