Advice for New Associates
Every young professional could use a mentor to guide them in the right direction. If you do not have a mentor, then we recommend reading Cordell Parvin’s “25 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was A First Year Associate.” A great blog post giving new attorneys perspective, beyond the day to day duties, to consider the long term plan by setting goals, discovering strengths and building relationships. Mr. Parvin was a highly successful lawyer for 36 years and left his practice to pursue his passion of teaching and coaching young lawyers.
Some of the tips include:
- Find your purpose for being a lawyer, your passion and your core values.
- Make sure your clients know how much you care. Never take a client for granted.
- Treat everyone in your office the same way you treat your best clients.
- Find something you love to do just for your own enjoyment. You will be serving clients, your family and others. You will only serve others effectively if you also serve yourself.
- Never be content. Always strive to get better.