Director Of Law Libraries Job Posting
SEEKING INNOVATIVE AND VISIONARY LEADER TO TAKE COUNTY LAW LIBRARY INTO THE FUTURE
The San Diego County Public Law Library seeks to hire an innovative and visionary leader as its Director of Libraries. The Director reports to the Board of Trustees, manages a staff of 22, and oversees a multi-million dollar budget. The Director works cooperatively with the Court, County and other local governments, California Legislators, bar associations, law schools, law firms, and local community agencies to help tens of thousands of self-represented litigants seeking access to free legal information. The Director will bring forward new and creative pathways to increase resources, partnerships and engagement to improve access to justice for County residents. The position reports to a nine-member Board of Trustees consisting of both judges and attorneys.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate leader with a vision for taking the law library into the future and the ability to manage and motivate a team to turn that vision into reality. A proven record in the following is essential:
- Maintaining and developing strong community relations with the specific goal of creating gateways of access to the law library in ways that provide mutual benefits to the partners.
- Refining and implementing a strategic plan that has a clear direction but is flexible enough to adapt to fluid circumstances influenced by uncertainties around revenue stream, physical access, the political climate and board leadership changes.
- Managing and developing an inclusive culture with particular focus on collaboration, new ways of working, and knowledge sharing to retain and attract top talent that will support the vision for the law library.
- JD/MLS is preferred but legal experience is essential to navigate the community and nuances of the legal system. Library experience is also important.
- Minimum five years of managing a team, preferably in the public sector. Proven experience developing a “learning organization.”
- Experience managing a budget, preferably with experience navigating public audits
- Demonstrated political acumen with legislation and/or fundraising advocacy experience at the state and local levels.
- Community partnership/alliance builder.
- Experience driving digital transformation
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to Debra Baker at email@example.com (no phone calls).
Salary is competitive with other California Law Libraries of similar size.
Deadline for applications extended to: March 31, 2021