Job Opening Posted 4/8/22:
Looking for an outgoing person, savvy with current technology, fluent in Spanish & English, and experienced in legal research. Join our skilled team of professional librarians who love what they do! If you are self-motivated and believe that access to the law is providing access to justice, send us your resume and cover letter telling us why you would be a good fit for this position.
This full-time position is part of a pilot program funded with supplemental California State monies for a one year period of time. This Program specifically seeks to help rural and/or Spanish speaking members of our community. This position requires constant contact with partner libraries, traveling to partnership locations to provide in-person reference and database assistance to the public, using technology to provide remote reference assistance, coordinating classes and programs with partnership libraries, providing in person reference services at our downtown location, and creating and updating Spanish content on our website.
- As part of the iDesk Team, provides excellent customer service and legal reference to patrons in person, via phone, chat, and email.
- All librarians are expected to perform circulation functions, money transactions, and assist patrons with copier and computer usage while performing iDesk duties.
PUBLIC LIBRARY OUTREACH PROGRAM
- Acts as the primary contact and coordinator with public library partners. Makes regular in-person visits to partner locations.
- Uses technology to assist rural and underserved populations with legal resource needs.
- Uses knowledge of Spanish language to assist Spanish speaking individuals in need of legal reference assistance.
- Responsible for exploring and developing new events with library partners and community organizations.
- Creates & coordinates training for public librarians, educating partners on free legal web resources and what the Law Library offers to the community.
- Create properly branded content to promote services and events.
- Develops web content and research guides, writes articles for our eNews and other local publications, and writes content for social media posts.
- Has a working knowledge of different modes of learning and able to tailor programs to fit the situation and target audience.
- Must stay on top of legal research trends and resources, legal database content and navigation, and educational technology.
- Captures statistics for reference interactions and outreach activities.
- Uses assessment tools, metrics, and analyzes data relating to reference assistance and educational programming.
- Assessment includes implementing surveys and capturing testimonials from participants.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Masters in Library and Information Science, a Juris Doctorate, or equivalent legal experience.
- Must be fluent in English & Spanish (speaking, reading, and writing).
- Three to five years law library experience or prior law practice. Significant legal research and bibliography experience in print and electronic formats.
- Proven track record in creating and implementing programs and classes.
- Use of web based programs, software, and technology to create learning materials and help people remotely.
- Excellent verbal skills, ability to make public presentations as well as one-on-one communications.
- Has a passion for working with people.
- High degree of creativity, interactive engagement and problem solving ability.
- Ability to use Microsoft tools and standard office equipment at an intermediate to advanced level.
- Knowledge of California Civil Procedure.
- Experience working with an integrated library system.
- Project management skills.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel to various locations throughout San Diego County on a regular basis. Some of these locations may be remote and not serviced by a regularly scheduled train or bus.
- May be required to work some Saturdays at Downtown location.
- May be required to work outside of normal library hours at special events, classes, workshops, networking and outreach opportunities, etc.
- Additional responsibilities, duties, and projects as assigned.
Depends on qualifications and experience, range is $60,000 to $70,000 plus benefits.
Send resume with cover letter and three professional references to Jobs@sdlawlibrary.org
Applications accepted until position is filled. No phone calls please. The San Diego Law Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All interested parties are encouraged to apply.